• Get in touch with us
    03 8764 0460
  • A
  • EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPortugueseRussianSpanish
  • Make a referral

News & Events

Do I Need SDA or SIL?

Through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), the government wishes to support every individual, with special needs, live an independent and fulfilling life.

And various funding schemes, like SDA and SIL, are available for the purpose.

But all these plans also have created confusion among the participants. And if you too want to know the differences between SDA and SIL, this article is for you.

After going through it, you'll have a better understanding of SDA and SIL. And you'll be able to decide which plan is beneficial for you.

Keep reading.

What is SDA?

Under the SDA (or Specialist Disability Accommodation) plan, participants get funds for residential facilities designed for the disabled. SDA homes are furnished with fully assistive technology like automated doors, sensor lights and others to cater to the special needs.

Through the SDA funds of NDIS, you will be able to take care of the house rent. But the plan doesn’t include funds for the services and support you need in that home.

Also, you're required to contribute 25% of the Disability Support Pension you receive from NDIS.

Who are eligible for SDA?

SDA funding is available to those who have high (and complex) support needs or extreme functional impairments. The agency (NDIA) provides funds for the special housing facilities only to those who it thinks can't live in mainstream buildings.

What is SIL?

Under the SIL (or Supported Independent Living) plan, participants get funds for caregivers and support workers needed for day-to-day care. And you can get SIL funds, whether you need 24x7 assistance or at fixed intervals.

Through your SIL funds, you'll be able to take care of the services needed for personal care, household tasks, medical needs and others.

NDIS will cover all the expenses incurred while delivering the services. But you'll need to bear the everyday living expenses like rents, utility bills or grocery expenses. The plan also doesn’t include funds for travel assistance, home maintenance and other services not included in your plan document.

Who are eligible for SIL?

SIL funding is available to those who need regular or full-time support to carry on with daily life or build independent living skills.

The agency (NDIA) provides three levels of SIL funding as per the needs:

·        For those with ‘lower needs’, NDIA provides SIL funds for regular supervision

·        For those with ‘standard needs’, NDIA provides SIL funds for 24/7 assistance with daily tasks

·        For those with ‘higher needs’, NDIA provides SIL funds for continual and more complex assistance


Well, now you know what is SIL and SDA, and how they're different.

SDA funds take care of the rents for special homes allocated to the disabled. And SIL funds pay for the services of the caregivers, domestic assistants and other support workers.

You now also know you can get NDIS funds for both SDA and SIL (if you're eligible). The SIL funds are provided to eligible participants whether they live in their own home, share a home with others, or want to be in an SDA home.

So, decide what you need from NDIS and get your plan prepared. We are here to help you.

We will provide the details regarding NDIS plans, and assist you with plan management and support coordination.

Latest News

Subscribe to our newsletter

Enter your email id

Trusted care partners acknowledges the traditional owners of country throughout Australia, and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures, and to elders both past and present.